TCWriter

Jacob Aagaard
The Art and Craft of Feature Writing: Based on The Wall Street Journal Guide
William E. Blundell

Doorways in the Sand

Doorways in the Sand - Roger Zelazny Doorways in the Sand serves as a fine showcase for Zelazny's considerable writing talent; each chapter begins with the hero in jeopardy, then loops back to explain how he got that way. In a less-capable writer's hands such a device would feel gimmicky, but Zelazy handles it beautifully. As a result, most of the people who read Doorways in the Sand find it be a hell of a lot of fun. I know I did.This was the first Zelazny book I ever read, and what an introduction. The characters are bizarre and wholly interesting, and the plot is suitably absurd (a frozen Uncle's estate is paying for Fred Cassiday's college education for as long as he doesn't graduate, so he makes a point of never graduating). The overall effect is one of a smartass having a lot of fun, yet it's not so bizarre as to become cartoonish. Even the aliens are interesting (and surprising), and while this doesn't qualify as a "deep think" novel which will alter your perception of reality, it is a great, fun read by one of the genre's better writers.